1. Green Kiwifruit
- Currently, around 10 million trays of Hayward that meets Zespri standards is procured from Italy and Greece.
- Greece has become increasingly important as a Hayward supply region in recent years.
- Hayward fruit is sold predominantly in the EU and demand is continuing to grow.
- Approximately 20 hectares of the Green14 variety is planted commercially in Piedmont in Italy. Production of this variety is expected to continue to decrease.
2. SunGold Kiwifruit - Italy
- Around 700 producing growers, supplying the vast majority of ZGS supply.
- There are around 2,200 producing hectares of Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit in Italy, yielding over 12 million trays of class one kiwifruit.
- Our Italian growing partners are spread across Italy but the main regions are Cisterna di Latina and Emilia Romagna.
- The current focus in Italy is on increasing yield and improving storage.
Fruit grown in Italy is mostly sold in Europe (65%) with exports to China, USA and other countries.
- About 80 producing growers based in south-west France. Currently around 270 producing hectares of Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit.
- The majority of fruit is sold in France with some exported to Vietnam.
- Around 200 producing growers on around 80 producing hectares (including Hort16a).
- All fruit grown in Japan is currently sold in Japan.
- Around 214 producing growers and 100 producing hectares of kiwifruit (including Hort16a), primarily in the south on Jeju Island.
- All fruit grown in Korea is currently sold in Korea.
Zespri’s global supply activities were approved by producer vote in early 2019, following amendment of the Regulations. This enabled Zespri to continue our 12-month supply business, which includes growing, procuring and selling kiwifruit grown in overseas countries (except for Chile and China).
More specifically, the scope of Zespri’s approved ZGS activities includes: use in overseas countries of plant varieties of kiwifruit owned by Zespri, managing growing practices by overseas growers, managing the supply chain from overseas growers to market, and marketing and market development for fruit grown overseas.
The 2019 Producer Vote approved Zespri’s 12-month supply activities up to the following thresholds:
- 5,000 ha of SunGold Kiwifruit planted offshore (50 million trays)
- 20 million trays of Green procured
- 1,000 ha of any new variety
Any changes to these activities, including increases to the approved thresholds, will require another producer vote. It is intended that the current exclusion of ZGS activities in China and Chile will continue.
ZGS Grower Videos
Emilia-Romagna - OPSole
Emilia-Romagna - Apofruit
Emilia-Romagna - Agrintesa
Lazio - Azienda Daniele
Lazio - Azienda eredi Albertini Pasqua
Lazio - Azienda Carla Pace
Latina - Antonio Trasolini
Campania - Azienda Raffaele
Basilicata - Azienda Clemente Bubbico
Calabria - Azienda Francesco Nardi
What is the role of Kiwifruit New Zealand?
As the regulator, the role of Kiwifruit New Zealand (KNZ) in a producer vote is to make sure Zespri informs growers of the activities and that the information is sufficient, accurate and fairly balanced, especially in relation to risk and mitigation measures. KNZ will also monitor whether Zespri is minimising, as far as reasonably practicable, the risks of carrying out the proposed activity for those producers who do not agree (whether or not they vote).